How to calibrate a weighing scale?
A weighing scale is an extremely essential device that must be present in every Indian home. It plays a huge role in our modern life. Our inactive lifestyle and unhealthy diet have resulted in several problems with our weight. Now, most of the people are either hitting the gym, doing intense exercises for weight losing, or following a particular diet for cutting off the extra calories to maintain a healthy body and lose weight. For these types of person, a weighing scale plays a huge role. It is a great companion in your weight losing journey. There are many people who are underweight. They need to follow a particular diet for weight gaining. A weighing scale is a blessing for them too. There are other types of weighing machine models too like jewellery weighing scale, kitchen weighing scale, weighing scale in chemical laboratory, etc. Every weighing scale, regardless of its type, needs to be highly accurate. Accuracy is an extremely important thing about this type of devices. Nobody will want to buy an inaccurate or ‘not so accurate’ device for tracking his/her weight gain or weight loss. A slight difference in proportion or a small error can result in a huge loss or problem in case of jewellery weighing scales or weighing scales in chemical laboratories. This is why you need to know how to calibrate a weighing machine. For ensuring the accuracy of your weighing scale, calibration is extremely important.
What is the calibration of a weighing scale?
The first question that comes to our mind is what does calibration of a weighing scale means?
Calibration is defined as a process of testing the accuracy of your weighing scale or weighing machine. This is done in a whole range of several different steps with increasing and decreasing weight. Calibration of a weighing scale is extremely important because this type of device needs to be extremely accurate.
How to calibrate a weighing scale?
There are mainly two types of weighing scales – digital or analog. Both these come with different set of features, advantages, and disadvantages. Here we will discuss about calibrating these two types of weighing scales, that is, analog and digital ones. The process is a bit different.
How to calibrate an analog weighing scale?
First, let us discuss the process of calibrating an analog weighing scale. The analog weighing scales are the easiest to calibrate.
- First stand directly above the weighing scale and look at the dial.
- Then check whether the measuring line is aligning with the ‘zero’ mark or not.
- If it doesn’t align then look at the dial behind the display. You will find a small calibration dial.
- Rotate that calibration dial in required direction until you see that the measuring tip is aligning with the ‘0’ mark.
- When both are aligning stop.
This is how you calibrate an analog weighing scale. One important thing that you must keep in mind while calibrating an analog weighing scale is that you should check the reading directly above the machine or else you will fall in a trap of parallax error.
How to calibrate a digital weighing scale?
Calibrating a digital weighing scale is quite lengthy. But calibrating it has become much easier now. The reason for this is the auto calibration feature. Now, most of the digital weighing scales come with this feature incorporated within them. So, there is no need to calibrate them separately. As soon as the digital weighing machine is turned on, the device itself is set to ‘0’. So, for every measurement the digital weighing machine calibrates itself. Hence there is no need for calibrating it separately. But if you find that your digital weighing scale is not calibrating itself on its own then you need to follow the following steps to calibrate it.
- First, turn the machine on and warm it up. You should have an object of a definite weight ready for you beforehand. A measuring weight can also be used for calibration purpose.
- Next you need to enter in the calibration mode. A button for ‘Cal’ or ‘mode’ is present on the machine. (You just have to press that button for initiating the calibration process.)
- Press that button for a little longer and you will enter the calibration mode.
- After you have entered the calibration mode, the screen will display ‘0’. This will indicate that the calibration mode has been initiated.
- Next you will have to put a known and definite weight on the machine to see if it really needs calibration or not. You can put around 15Kg or less on the machine. It is very important to use a definite weight for this purpose.
- Place the weight on the center of the machine and make it steady. It should not wobble or move around.
- It is extremely important to ensure that the object’s weight as per the measurement. So, be careful about that.
- Then wait for your machine to take the measurement.
- After that press the ‘calibrate’ or ‘mode’ button to end the calibration cycle and post calibration. You will see the word ‘end’, ‘Cal’, ‘zero’ in the display.
- After that the machine will reset itself automatically.
- If not, you can manually turn off the machine and leave it as it is for the next 2 minutes.
This is how you should calibrate a digital weighing machine which doesn’t calibrate itself.
Some tips to follow while buying and dealing with a weighing machine:
- First of all, it is better to buy a weighing machine which has an auto calibration feature. Buying those machines will save you from the time-consuming steps of calibrating the machine.
- Calibrate your analog machine weighing machine as soon as you notice an error.
- Usually, digital weighing machines come with auto calibration mode but if you have a machine which needs to be calibrated manually then try to do the calibration once every two months to ensure accuracy of the machine.
- Read the instructions of your machine laid down by the manufacturer before starting any calibration exercise. This type of instruction will be given in the user manual. Follow the exact details of the calibration and correct method to avoid any mistakes. This is because the method of calibration may vary from one manufacturer to another and one model to another model. This will ensure better calibration for your machine.
How does calibration help?
It is very common to notice errors in the results displayed by a weighing machine. If your weighing machine or weighing scale doesn’t show correct results, you must understand that it’s time for calibrating the machine. Calibration of a weighing machine helps to ensure the accuracy of the device so that it delivers correct results every time when used.
How a weighing machine work?
We know that a weighing machine helps to detect the weight of an object placed above it but how does it work? It is a very common question that crosses our minds now and then. Let us discuss the working principle of a weighing machine.
A weighing machine comes with pressure sensors incorporated into the platform of the device. These pressure sensors help to detect the actual weight of the object placed on the platform by sensing the pressure on it. Remember that the efficiency of the pressure sensors will decide the accuracy of your weighing scale. So, do not forget to check the efficiency of the pressure sensors of the weighing machine so that you can get the most accurate and precise results quickly and easily.
Digital or analog – Which weighing machine to buy?
It is another extremely common question. Too often, people seem to get confused and have a dilemma whether to go for a digital weighing machine or an analog one. That’s a pretty common question as well. Thus, we decided to count this query and see if we can actually help you with the right answer. Remember, every device has its own set of pros and cons. So, it will depend on you, what model you would like to prefer. The digital weighing scales are more accurate and come with better set of features as compared to the analog weighing machines. Moreover, the results of the digital weighing machines are easy to read. They can also be read easily by kids. So, if you are searching for an easy to use, easy to read, and extremely accurate machine then it is better to buy a digital weighing machine. For more easy usability and a long life, analog weighing machines are perfect. So, it depends on your priority and needs, what type of weighing machine will be perfect for you. Moreover, budget and other factors can also affect the choice of buying a digital model or an analog one. So, you can look for both at first, and after you have gone through the list of specifications and the price tag, make the decision based on which one you think would best suit your requirement.
Where to purchase a weighing machine?
A good-quality weighing machine can be bought either online or offline. If you prefer online shopping then there are various online sites which sell the best weighing scales from different brands. You can get amazing deals and discounts from online shopping. Moreover, online shopping will open the gates to a wide range of options. You can also buy from local stores where you can actually check the features with your own hands and eyes. However, online availability is meant for your own convenience. It is important to understand that the availability of these goods online makes sure that you can place the order right at your finger tip. Thus, make sure that you go through the customer reviews and ratings thoroughly prior to the purchase and everything else would become easy and simple! In order to make this entire process a bit smooth for you, here I have listed a few tips that would probably make the whole thing easy for you.
Whether it is a digital model or an analog model, a weighing scale needs to be present in almost every Indian home. They are extremely easy to use and are quite portable. No matter if you are a newbie, and you have no prior experience in dealing with this product, you can easily be able to use it. This is no rocket science and operating it is absolutely simple. Besides, being such an easy-to-carry product, you may choose to carry it anywhere you want, along with yourself. The steps to calibrate analog and digital weighing machines are given above. Hence, once you get the device, it would become absolutely easy for you. We hope that you find this information beneficial. Thank you for reading till the end. Have a good day! Last but not the least, we would like to hear it back from you. In case we have missed out any important information, feel free to let us know and we shall be happy to learn!